Player Hydration & Nutrition
Hydration Advice (especially important during summer months!)
- 16-20 ounces of water 2-3 hours before you start exercising
- 8 ounces of water 20-30 minutes before exercising or during warm-up
- Constant hydration during exercise
- 8 ounces of water no more than 30-45 minutes after exercise
- Note: these are estimates. An individual’s needs will vary based on size, body chemistry, fitness level, and work rate.
- A good reference is FamilyDoctor.org
- Comments on sports drinks:
- Pay attention to levels of sugar and caffeine as these can lead to dehydration.
- One bottle may actually be two servings. This means you could be consuming double the sugar, sodium, and calories listed on the bottle.
- Pregame/training diets should be healthy and beneficial to the player. Lean proteins (peanut butter, nuts), fruits and veggies (apples, bananas, oranges, carrots, etc.) are great.
- High-sugar foods and drinks will lead to dehydration, cramps, and fatigue as the sugar crash starts.
- Consume lean protein after training and games to repair torn muscle fibers.
- Chocolate milk after a workout is also a good (and tasty!) recovery option.