To our 2008 players: we want you to know that whether you’re going into HS in the fall, or starting 8th grade, Cincy SC will have a team for you next year.
As you know, the US Soccer birth year system doesn’t align well with the school year system. Each year at the U15 age group about 70% of the players move on to high school and the rest do not.
For the “Younger ’08s” that will be “trapped 8th graders” in the fall:
- These players will have a fairly normal club soccer year as you’ve come to expect, including a fall club season from Aug-Oct.
- The team would play in a league, 3 tournaments, train 3x/week.
- Don’t worry. Every year since fall of 2016 we’ve had boys and girls 8th grade teams in the fall. This year will be no different. As the club has grown, it’s become easier.
About Trapped 8th Grade Teams
- We expect to have a very competitive B08 team and a very competitive G08 team in Fall ’22.
- We normally shoot for 16-17 players for U15 teams, but roster sizes might not be perfect in the fall. If we need more players, they may come from our ’09s or from outside the club. If necessary, we may expand the roster so that players aren’t left out and add extra games so that everyone still gets enough game time (we did this with the G06s in 2020 and the B07s last fall).
- Starting in Nov., these players will be reunited with the other ’08s (and older players) and invited to train with the HS program.
- Playing on the Fall ’08 team does not mean you’ll play with that team in the spring. Players will be placed on the appropriate team for the spring as HS players return and teams are re-formed.
- The goal is to make sure all our players have a place to play in the fall and spring.
- There are ’08 players at every club facing this same situation. We have a good enough reputation and a strong enough nucleus that other players will find us rather than our players having to go elsewhere to play.
For the “Older ’08s” that will be starting HS in the fall:
- If they participate with their HS program in the fall, they return Cincy SC after HS seasons conclude and become part of our HS Program, which has start dates of Nov. or Feb.
- If they don’t play HS soccer, they can play with Cincy SC in the fall (OHSAA rules say you can’t do both).
Current Cincy SC Numbers:
2008 Boys (8th graders in the fall): 16 players
2008 Girls (8th graders in the fall): 12 players
This is current Cincy SC players only. There are also potential new players registered for tryouts that want to play in the fall. There will likely be a few ’08s that will be in 9th grade but choose to play with Cincy SC in the fall.
What to do next
Whether you’re going into HS or 8th grade, please register for tryouts.
About The Author: Brett
More posts by Brett